Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday in Spain

**I'm not sure why the formatting on this post is so bad. I tried to be fancy and add the map, but I think I did it wrong! Sorry!**

Saturdays in Spain have a really interesting vibe. The streets are pretty quiet and everyone walks slower and takes their time more than usual (which took some getting used to for "walk-with-a-purpose" Sally). I live on Camino de Ronda, which, if you look at Granada on Google Maps, is by far the biggest street in the city:


(The highway is basically the edge of Granada, everything to the right of Camino de Ronda is the city). It's so crazy, though, because this street that's normally really hustle-and-bustle is so quiet on the weekends. Everyone stays in, relaxes, and catches up with family. It's pretty cool-- that's my kind of weekend!

Anyway, after eating my usual three galletas (breakfast cookies) for breakfast, I headed out to the gym. Betsy decided to sign up, too, so we worked out together for about an hour. On my way home (probably a ten minute walk), I decided to stop in some of the stores that I always see but never venture into. It was really fun! I was laughing because they're basically Spain's version of Target. They're much smaller, but they have anything you could want. It was fun to check them out and really fun to people-watch inside. I managed to refrain from buying anything but I think I'll be making a return trip sometime soon. 

I did venture into one store, called araƱa (spider), that made me laugh hysterically. It looked just like a clothes store, but it had kind of a punk vibe. My favorite part was when I got to a big display of buttons that you can buy. I won't go into detail, but let's just say that they all had the words you never learn in Spanish classes but you learn your first few weeks abroad. I really can't picture anyone wearing them in public, but I think that's the American in me talking. It might just be a Euro thing.

I'll be sure to update later; it's almost time for lunch-- pollo y salsa (chicken and sauce) today! (Oh, and by the way, I had salad and spinach lasagna for dinner last night. That will be really shocking for those of you who know that I tend to eat like a 3-year-old :-) )

No comments: