Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lazy Sundays

Ok, remember what I said yesterday about Saturdays being really slow in Granada? Sundays make it feel like a ghost town!

I started off today by going to church down the street with Julia and Clarissa. It was a really interesting experience. We walked in and there was a band (complete with electric guitars and drums) playing really pretty and really intense worship songs. There was a screen behind the band that was essentially a karaoke screen so that everyone could know the words, and the entire congregation was clapping to the beat, dancing, and singing along. It was pretty cool! The pastor gave his sermon and then we hung around afterwards and talked to some people in the congregation. These people had so much energy! Everyone was coming up to us and kissing us and introducing themselves... It was nice to feel so welcomed! I think next week I'm going to try to check out mass at the Cathedral to see how that is, too. I like seeing all of the different ways of life around here. 

After church, I walked home (in the rain again... I seriously think they were intentionally lying to us about the whole drought thing) and came up to find the kids' dad cooking. Apparently on Sundays we eat one big meal in between lunch and dinner (lunner?) all together. The dad made couscous and it was pretty good. I'm getting more adventurous, even eating the peas and carrots! 

I took a long siesta after the meal and spent some time catching up with people from home. Homesickness started to get bad again, but I think it's just the lack of structure for the day. Betsy said she's feeling the same way, so I think a few of us are going to go try to find something American-ish in a little bit.

Hope everyone is doing well... missing all of you!

No comments: