Friday, January 16, 2009

Full Day #2

Ahhhh I had a whole blog and it got deleted! The internet at our hostel is going in and out like crazy. I got dropped from Skype and AIM today which was really frustrating, especially with the whole homesick thing really starting to hit. 

Last night we went to a discoteca, which, I learned, isn't really my scene. First of all, as a lot of you know, I'm a girl who likes my sleep. I'm the one who leaves at 12:30 (at the latest) and goes to bed, even if I'm having a ton of fun. So it's kind of hard that people in Granada don't even go out until 2:00am. We went to get a bite to eat and some wine, left there at 12:45am, came back to the hostel, and went to the discoteca around 2:15am. I had a huge headache (one of those where your brain feels like it might explode) and the strobe lights, techno, and Spanish PDA were not helping at all. I came home around 3:15 and was just exhausted, homesick, and didn't feel well-- terrible combination!

Today we had our housing orientation and then I came home to go online and nap. I felt a little bit better after my nap but am still in my adjustment phase. We went on our tour of the AlbacĂ­n and Sacramonte, two of the oldest parts of the city this afternoon. It was crazy because all of the buildings there are well over 1,000 years old. We got great views of the Alhambra and it was a very cool tour. However, I learned that the old part of Granada makes San Francisco look flat. Hills, stairs, steep inclines... wow!

We've got our welcome dinner tonight and I'll make sure to blog after (if the internet cooperates) to let everyone know how it goes. I'll also try to post pictures from today!

Missing everyone!

1 comment:

Ruthanne said...

oh, I hear ya'. I would NOT be able to do that either. I'm a homebody and a sleeper. lol Having said that though, you should get out there and experience every single thing you can. Home will still be here when you get back and it's not nearly as exciting around here as it is there, I'll bet. You have fun--you only get to do this once. :)