Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wednesday and Thursday

The school weeks at CEGRI fly by. I can't believe that it's already the weekend again-- I'm loving not having class on Fridays!

Yesterday was a very successful day. I was able to secure my Paris trip! I'm going March 5-8 with a few of my other friends. I'm so excited to get to see my friends Meghan and Carolyn, both of whom are studying there! It should be a great little trip-- I've always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower :-) I also planned a trip with Julia to London for April 24-26. We haven't locked everything in yet, but I'm SO excited to go! We're planning on seeing Les Miserables on the West End. For those of you who don't know, for me that's like the ultimate experience. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Les Mis and being able to see it in its original form (it opened in London in 1985 and has been there ever since) will be incredible. I'm already so excited that I've been walking the streets of Granada humming "Do you Hear the People Sing?" (haha is that one of those things I shouldn't admit to?)

Classes have started to pick up and I'm learning a lot in them. Grammar is already improving my Spanish a ton and Law is really interesting. Even Literature is pretty interesting to me at CEGRI, and I'm usually more into the linguistic areas. We just read part of El Conde Lucanor and are starting a little excerpt of Don Quijote, which I am so excited about. Both of these were favorites of mine in high school, so it will be nice to get to revisit them. 

My favorite class, by far, is Conversation. It's hilarious because all we do is sit around and talk. Right now, we're on the "traditions and customs" section and we spent the class period today talking about stereotypes of different countries. Spain isn't about political correctness, so we were all pretty taken aback by some of the stuff our teacher was saying. It's just funny to hear what is and isn't offensive to people of other cultures. We also decided to show Yanira (our teacher) "My New Haircut" on YouTube. She loved it, although I don't think she really understood it. I'm proposing we show her doglover next (If you don't know who doglover is, you MUST click on this link right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEtP9zQAOI4&feature=channel_page  ... I will gladly admit that I was doglover's twin-- in both appearance and obvious star quality-- circa 1996-1998. If you knew me at this time, I give you permission to laugh and agree. If you didn't know me, I'll host a viewing of the VonderHeide "Holidays 1998" home video once I get back to the US to enlighten you). 

I think the rest of the day holds homework, a workout and perhaps some going out. Tomorrow we leave for Morocco at 1:15pm! I don't think I'll have internet again until Sunday, but I promise to blog when I get back to Granada. Everyone cross your fingers that it doesn't rain so I can ride my camel!

2 comments:

Patty said...

Have fun and be safe this weekend! How exciting to be experiencing so many new places.
Look forward to visiting Morocco through your blog!

siobhan said...

Sally--can't wait to hear about your trip to Morocco!